The Open Source Hardware Association (501c3 status pending) aims to be the voice of the open hardware community, ensuring that technological knowledge is accessible to everyone, and encouraging the collaborative development of technology that serves education, environmental sustainability, and human welfare.
Some proposed purposes this organization aims to do are as follows:
(1) Educate individuals and the general public about Open Source Hardware.
(2) Organize the Open Source Hardware movement around shared values and principles.
(3) Provide information and advice on best practices and standards for Open Source
(4) Encourage collaborative learning, knowledge exchange, and social cohesion through
conferences and other events focused on Open Source Hardware.
(5) Promote the use and development of Open Source Hardware, including to encourage
educational and economic development.
(6) Collect, compile and publish data on the Open Source Hardware movement.
(7) Conduct any and all lawful activities which may be useful in accomplishing the
Many thanks to the hours of IT volunteer work by Kelly Maguire and George Shammas.
Many thanks to Aaron Williamson at the Software Freedom Law Center for acting as our legal advisor.
Many thanks to Per Andersson who donated the URL oshw.org to us for the good of the movement.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.